Here are some answers to frequently asked questions about the default user accounts on all ExtraHop systems.
The following default accounts are configured on the ExtraHop system.
- The setup account provides full system read and write privileges to the system, including through a browser and the command-line interface (CLI).
- The shell account, by default, has access to non-administrative shell commands in the ExtraHop CLI. By enabling privileged mode, the shell account can access all commands.
To set up and administer the ExtraHop system, you must log in with these usernames and passwords.
|1U and 2U hardware appliances||
||The service tag number, found on the front of the appliance by pulling out the
Alternatively, the number can be found on a sticker on the rear of the chassis.
||The serial number printed on a sticker on the front or bottom of the appliance. The serial number also appears on the LCD display.|
The serial number can be found on a sticker on the rear of the chassis.
|Virtual appliances (excluding AWS and GCP deployments)||
|Amazon Web Services (AWS)||
||The string of numbers after the i- in the instance ID.|
|Google Cloud Platform (GCP)||
||The instance ID|
We recommend that you change the default password for the setup user on the ExtraHop system after you log in for the first time. Changing the default password is required before you can connect to ExtraHop Cloud Services.
To remind administrators to make this change, there is a blue Change default password button at the top of the page while the setup user is logged in to the Administration settings. Click the button and complete the change password fields.
After the setup user password is changed, you are automatically logged out of the Administration settings. When you log in again with the new password, the Change default password button at the top of the page no longer appears.
Just like the setup user, you should also change the default password for the shell user account. Changing the default password for the shell user is required before you can connect to ExtraHop Cloud Services.
- Log in to the Administration settings on the ExtraHop system through https://<extrahop-hostname-or-IP-address>/admin with the setup user account.
- In the Access Settings section, click Password.
- In the Change User Password section, select shell from the User drop-down list.
- Complete the New password and Confirm password fields.
- Click Change Password.