If you have decided to return your ExtraHop appliances from an evaluation (POC), this guide provides instructions on how to remove your data before you ship the appliances back. Optionally, you can send the appliances back with your data and ExtraHop will delete the data for you.
Before you can securely delete your data, you must first boot into the rescue media interface. Then, select from the options to perform a secure delete. After your data has been deleted, return the equipment according to the instructions in your return request letter.
Before you begin
|Warning:||The rescue media must have the same ExtraHop firmware version that is installed on the ExtraHop appliance. If you are unsure of the correct firmware version on the rescue media, contact ExtraHop Support.|
- Make sure that you have only one rescue media inserted into the ExtraHop appliance.
Restart the appliance from a console, serial, or iDRAC
connection through one of the methods listed below, in the following
- Log into the Admin UI on the ExtraHop appliance. In the Appliance Settings section, click Shutdown or Restart, and then click Shutdown.
- Log into the command-line interface with the shell user account, turn on privileged commands, and then restart the system with the restart system command. It can take up to two minutes for the system to restart.
- Press the power button once without holding, wait a few minutes for the system to shut down, and then press the power button again to restart the appliance.
- Press and hold the power button until the appliance turns off. Then, press the power button again to restart the appliance. This method should only be tried if the previous methods are unresponsive, as a forced reboot can cause data loss.
- When the system reboots, follow the instructions on the screen to access the Boot Manager (or press F11). The steps vary by the hardware manufacturing release. From the Boot Manager menu, select the option for the BIOS boot menu.
- Depending on your rescue media type, select to boot from either DVD ROM or USB. Do not select to boot from the NIC or the hard drive.
- The rescue media interface should appear. Select ExtraHop Rescue CD or ExtraHop Rescue USB and then press ENTER.
You can permanently remove all of the data and customizations from your ExtraHop appliance. Select this option if you plan on disconnecting the ExtraHop appliance and want to securely remove all of your data.
|Note:||This process can take several hours on an ExtraHop Discover appliance and up to 4 hours on an Explore or Trace appliance.|
- From the Select Menu Option screen, select Wipe/Reset Menu.
- Select Run Secure Wipe and then select OK.
Select the wipe pattern from the following options:
- 1-pass Quick Fill with 0x00 - writes zeros to every sector of every disk on the appliance.
- 1-pass One Random Pass - writes random bits to every sector of every disk on the appliance.
- 3-pass DoD 5220.22-M - writes random bits to every sector of every disk on the appliance, then writes zeros to every sector of every disk on the appliance, and then writes ones to every sector of every disk on the appliance. Finally, a verification pass is performed.
- Select OK and then press ENTER.