You can export data on an ExtraHop system to any system that receives syslog input (such as Splunk, ArcSight, or Q1 Labs) for long-term archiving and comparison with other sources.
Log in to the Administration settings on the ExtraHop system through
Repeat these steps on each Discover appliance in your environment.
- In the System Configuration section, click Open Data Streams.
- Click Add Target.
- From the Target Type drop-down menu, select Syslog.
- In the Name field, type a name to identify the target.
- In the Host field, type the hostname or IP address of the remote syslog server.
- In the Port field, type the port number of the remote syslog server.
From the Protocol drop-down menu, select one of the
following protocols over which to transmit data:
- (Optional): Select Local Time to send syslog information with timestamps in the local time zone of the ExtraHop system. If this option is not selected, timestamps are sent in GMT.
- (Optional): Select Length-prefix framing to prepend the number of bytes in a message to the beginning of each message. If this option is not selected, the end of each message is delimited by a trailing newline.
- (Optional): In the Batch min bytes field, type the minimum number of bytes to send to the syslog server at a time.
- (Optional): In the Concurrent connections field, type the number of concurrent connections to send messages over.
If you selected the SSL/TLS protocol, specify
- If the Syslog server requires client authentication, specify a TLS client certificate to send to the server in the Client certificate field.
- If you specified a client certificate, specify the private key of the certificate in the Client key field.
- If you do not want to verify the certificate of the Syslog server, select Skip server certificate verification.
- If you want to verify the certificate of the Syslog server, but the certificate has not been signed by a valid Certificate Authority (CA), specify trusted certificates to verify the server certificate with in the CA certificates (optional) field. Specify the certificates in PEM format. If this option is not specified, the server certificate is validated with the built-in list of valid CA certificates.
Click Test to establish a connection between the
ExtraHop system and the remote syslog server and send a test message to the
The dialog box displays a message that indicates whether the connection succeeded or failed. If the test fails, edit the target configuration and test the connection again.
- Click Save.