Custom devices are manually created on an ExtraHop system to collect metrics for traffic observed across multiple IP addresses and ports. If a large number of custom devices is affecting your system performance, you can delete or disable a custom device.
Before you beginFull privileges or higher are required to create or delete a custom device.
- When you delete or disable a custom device, the device becomes inactive, which means that the system stops collecting metrics for that device.
- When you delete or disable a custom device, the device continues to appear as an asset until all metrics collected for that device are overwritten in the local datastore.
- When you delete a custom device, the unique Discovery ID for the custom device always remains in the system and cannot be applied to a new custom device.
- Log in to the ExtraHop system through https://<extrahop-hostname-or-IP-address>.
- Click the System Settings icon and then click Custom Devices.
From the filter text box, search for the custom device.
The filter text box supports substring matching by custom device name, description, status, sensor, and Discovery ID.
From the table, select the custom device that you want, and then complete one
of the following steps:
- From the configuration options, clear the Custom Device Enabled checkbox. The selected device becomes inactive and is removed from the full analysis device count. You can re-enable the custom device anytime, and you can still access custom device metrics from previous time intervals until they are overwritten in the local datastore.
- From the top of the page, click Delete Device, and then click Delete Custom Device from the confirmation window. The selected custom device is permanently removed from the ExtraHop system and cannot be restored.