Add a static threshold line to a chart
Displaying a static threshold line in a chart can help you determine which data points are either below or above a significant value.
For example, you can create a line chart for server processing time to help you monitor the performance of an important database in your network environment. By adding a threshold line that defines a service level agreement (SLA) boundary of acceptable processing time, you can see when database performance is slowing down and address the issue.
You can add one or more threshold lines as you edit a chart with the Metric Explorer. These lines are local to the chart and not associated with other widgets or alerts. Threshold lines are only available for area, candlestick, column, line, line & column, and status charts.
The following steps show you how to add a static threshold line to an existing dashboard chart:
- Log in to the ExtraHop system through https://<extrahop-hostname-or-IP-address>.
- At the top of the page, click Dashboards.
Launch the Metric Explorer to edit the chart by
completing the following steps:
- From the dashboard dock, select a dashboard containing the chart that you want to edit.
- Click the chart title and then select Edit.
- Click the Analysis tab.
- In the Static Thresholds section, click Add Threshold Line.
In the Value field, type a number that indicates the
threshold value for the line. This value determines where the line appears on
the y-axis of your chart.
Note: For charts that display only count metrics (such as bytes, errors, and responses), the value of the threshold line automatically scales based on whether data is displayed as a rate or count. When data is only displayed as a count, the threshold line value automatically scales to the roll up period (either 30 seconds, 5 minutes, 1 hour, or 1 day). The data roll up period is determined by the time interval you select.
- In the Label field, type a name for your threshold line.
- In the Color field, select a color (gray, red, orange, or yellow) for your threshold line.
- Click Save to close the Metric Explorer.
Thank you for your feedback. Can we contact you to ask follow up questions?