The ExtraHop system automatically names devices by passively monitoring naming protocol traffic (DNS, DHCP, NETBIOS, CDP). If naming protocol traffic is not observed for a device, the device name displays either the IP address or the MAC address. In either condition, you can change the automatic device name to a custom name. The custom name will appear throughout the ExtraHop system.
- Custom names are not synchronized across connected ExtraHop systems. For example, a custom name created on a sensor (Discover appliance) is not available from a connected Command appliance or Reveal(x) 360.
- The ExtraHop system does not perform DNS lookups for device names. The ExtraHop system derives the DNS name for a device by observing DNS traffic over wire data. For more information, see Device discovery.
- Log in to the ExtraHop system through https://<extrahop-hostname-or-IP-address>.
- At the top of the page, click Assets.
- Click Devices in the left pane, and then click the Active Devices chart.
Filter the device list to find the device you want and then click the device
The Device Overview page appears, which displays traffic and protocol activity for the selected device.
- Click Edit Properties.
- Click Display custom name.
- Type a custom name in the field.
- Click Done.