Alerts make it easy to learn when important events occur, such as security detections on high-priority devices or Software License Agreement (SLA) violations. Configured alert conditions determine when an alert is generated.
Alert conditions are a combination of settings, such as a time interval, metric value, and metric calculations that occur on assigned data sources. Threshold or trend alerts are based on the value of the monitored metric. Detection alerts are based on specified protocols and detection categories.
|Important:||Detection alerts are deprecated and will be removed in a future release. To receive notifications about detections, create a notification rule.|
Configure an alert to monitor for certain conditions and generate alerts when those conditions are met on the assigned data sources.
- Threshold alerts
- Threshold-based alerts are generated when a monitored metric crosses a defined
value within a specified time interval.
Create a threshold alert to monitor occurrences such as error rates that surpass a comfortable percentage or SLA-violations. Learn how to configure a threshold alert.
- Trend alerts
- Trend-based alerts are generated when a monitored metric deviates from the
normal trends observed by the system. Trend alerts are more complex than
threshold alerts and are useful for monitoring metric trends such as unusually
high round-trip times or storage servers experiencing abnormally low traffic,
which might indicate a failed backup.
Create a trend alert to monitor when a metric deviates from normal behavior and where thresholds are difficult to define. Learn how to configure a trend alert.
- Detection alerts
- Detection alerts are generated when a detection on a specified protocol or
detection category occurs.
Important: Detection alerts are deprecated and will be removed in a future release. We recommend that you create a notification rule, which enables you to set more specific detection conditions.
In addition, you can configure an alert with the following options:
The Alerts page displays a list of all alerts generated during the specified time interval. Select from the filters at the top of the page to adjust the list or click an alert name to view details about the alert.
Select from the filters at the top of the page to adjust the list or click an alert name to view details about the alert.
- Source Type
- Filter alerts assigned to applications or devices.
- Filter alerts by severity level.
- Alert Type
- Filter by threshold, trend, or detection alerts.
Important: Detection alerts are deprecated and will be removed in a future release. To receive notifications about detections, create a notification rule.
- Filter by connected sites. Command appliances and Reveal(x) only.
The Alerts page displays the following information about each alert:
- A color-coded indicator of the alert severity level. You can set the following severity levels: Emergency, Alert, Critical, Error, Warning, Notice, Info, and Debug.
- Alert name
- The name of the configured alert. Click the alert name to view alert details.
- The name of the data source on which the alert conditions occurred. Click the source name to navigate to the source Overview page.
- The time of the most recent occurrence of the alert conditions.
- Alert type
- Indicates a trend, threshold, or detection alert.
For more information about viewing alerts, see the following topics