To collect metrics for a segment of traffic across multiple IP addresses and ports, you can create a custom device in the Discover appliance. Custom devices are useful for monitoring traffic outside of your local broadcast domain, such as branch offices, stores, or clinics. A single custom device counts as one device against your licensed device limit.
|Important:||Custom devices affect ExtraHop system performance.|
Here are some important considerations about custom devices:
- Avoid creating multiple custom devices for the same IP addresses or ports. Custom devices that are configured with overlapping criteria might degrade system performance.
- Avoid creating a custom device for a broad range of IP addresses or ports, which might degrade system performance.
- Custom devices are counted against the device limit for your appliance. A device limit is the total number of devices that the Discover appliance can fully analyze. For more information, see View the device limit and device counts.
- Custom devices can only be created on a Discover appliance.
- Custom devices appear in the ExtraHop system after traffic is observed that matches the IP address and port criteria that you specify.
The following steps show you how to create a custom device:
- Log into the Web UI of the Discover appliance.
- Click the System Settings icon at the top of the page.
- Click Custom Devices.
- On the Custom Device Settings page, click New. The Custom Device Configuration dialog box opens.
- Type a name for your custom device.
- Type a unique identifier. If you leave this field blank, an ExtraHop ID is automatically assigned to your custom device.
- Type a description.
Click Add Criteria to specify the IP addresses and ports
that you want to collect metrics for. You can provide a combination of criteria
to collect metrics across multiple devices or for a single device. You do not
need to complete each field.
- In the IP Address field, type an IP address or a CIDR notation.
- In the Source Min Port field, type a minimum source port.
- In the Source Max Port field, type a maximum source port.
- In the Destination Min Port field, type a minimum destination port.
- In the Destination Max Port field, type a maximum destination port.
Note: You cannot add VLAN criteria to a new custom device, or to an existing custom device that does not already have VLAN match criteria. Contact ExtraHop Support for more information.