You can change the default metric label in a chart to a custom label. For example, you can change the default label, "Network Bytes," to a custom label such as "Throughput."
Custom labels only apply to individual charts. A custom label for a metric will persist if you copy the chart to another dashboard, share a dashboard with another user, or add new metrics to your chart.
However, if you make changes to the original metric, such as updating the data calculation (from median to 95th percentile, for example) or drilling down on the metric, the custom label will automatically clear. The label clears to prevent mislabeling or potential inaccuracy of the custom label when metric data changes.
Here are some considerations about changing the label of a chart legend:
- For detail metrics, a custom label is
automatically appended to all the keys displayed in the chart. However, you can
change the order of the key in the label by including the variable,
- Type $KEY errors to display 172.21.1.1 errors
- Type [$KEY] errors to display [172.21.1.1] errors
- You cannot change labels in the box plot, candlestick, heatmap, table, or status charts.
- You cannot rename metric delta or dynamic baseline labels.
Before you beginCreate a chart and select a metric.
The following steps show you how to change metric labels in an existing dashboard chart:
- Log in to the ExtraHop system through https://<extrahop-hostname-or-IP-address>.
- At the top of the page, click Dashboards.
Launch the Metric Explorer to edit the chart by
completing the following steps:
- From the dashboard dock, select a dashboard containing the chart that you want to edit.
- Click the chart title and select Edit.
- In the preview pane of the Metric Explorer, click the metric label.
- Select Rename from the drop-down menu.
In the Display custom label field, type a new label.
The label must be unique from other labels in the chart.
Click Save, and then click Save
again to close the Metric Explorer.
The new label appears in your chart.