The ExtraHop system automatically names devices by passively monitoring naming protocol traffic (DNS, DHCP, NETBIOS, CDP). If naming protocol traffic is not observed for a device, the device name displays the IP address for L3 devices or the MAC address for L2 devices. In either condition, you can change the automatic device name to a custom name. The custom name will appear throughout the ExtraHop system.
- Custom names are not synchronized between Command and Discover appliances.
- The ExtraHop system does not perform DNS lookups for device names. The ExtraHop system derives the DNS name for a device by observing DNS traffic over wire data. For more information, see Device discovery.
- Log into the Web UI on the Discover or Command appliance.
- Click Assets and select Device in the left pane.
Find a device and
then click the device name.
The Overview page appears, which displays traffic and protocol activity for the selected device.
Click Edit Properties.
- Click Display custom name.
- Type a custom name in the field.
- Click Done.