You can collect L7 records to store on your Explore appliance or third-party recordstore, which show details from individual messages or transactions over L7 protocols. These types of records require triggers.
Before you begin
- You must connect your Command or Discover appliance to your Explore appliances or configure a third-party recordstore before you can collect L7 records.
- These instructions assume some familiarity with ExtraHop Triggers. New users can learn about triggers in our Triggers Walkthrough.
- Log into the Web UI on your Discover appliance.
- Click the System Settings icon , and then click Triggers.
- Click Create.
In the Create Trigger pane, complete your information,
similar to the following example:
Name: HTTP Responses
Description: This trigger collects HTTP responses.
Enable debug log: Select the checkbox to enable debugging.
In the right pane, type the following example code:
HTTP.commitRecord() debug ("committing HTTP responses")
This code generates records for the HTTP record type when the HTTP_RESPONSE event occurs and corresponds to the built-in record format for HTTP.
- Click Save and Close. Next, assign this trigger to a web server.
- Click Assets from the top menu and then click Devices in the left pane.
- Search for an active web server that you want to collect records for. For this example, we will select a web server called web-sea-example.
- Select the checkbox next to the web server (such as web-sea-example).
- Click Assign Trigger from the menu above the table.
From the list, select the checkbox next to the trigger we previously created
named HTTP Responses, and then click Assign Triggers.
Records that meet your criteria are now sent to your connected Explore appliance. Wait a few minutes for records to be collected, and then verify that your records are being collected in the next step.
- Click Records from the top menu to start a query. If you do not see any HTTP records, wait a few minutes and try again. If no records appear after five minutes, review your configuration or contact ExtraHop Support.