The Metric Explorer is a tool for creating and editing charts, which lets you construct dynamic visualizations of device and network behavior.
With the Metric Explorer, you can edit chart components, such as sources, metrics, and data calculations, and then preview how metric data appears in different chart types. When you are satisfied with your selections, save your chart to a dashboard.
The following steps show you the basic workflow and minimum requirements for completing a new chart.
Click Add Source and then select a source.
- You can select a static source for the chart by typing the name of an application, device, or network.
- You can also select a dynamic source that can be dynamically modified by dashboard viewers by typing $ and selecting a variable from the Source Type Variable list. For more information about source type variables and dashboard templates, see Create a dashboard with dynamic sources.
- Select the source from the list of results.
In the Metrics field, type a protocol and metric name. Then select the metric
from the list of results, as shown in the following figure.
Select a chart from the bottom of the Metric Explorer, as shown in the
- (Optional): Click the drop-down link below the metric name to display a count or rate or percentile.
Complete one of the following steps:
- Click Save when creating or editing a chart from a dashboard. Your dashboard is updated with your basic chart.
- Click Add to Dashboard when creating or editing a chart from a protocol page. Then select an existing dashboard from the list, or select Create Dashboard.
Depending on the metrics and chart type you select, you can configure advanced options for creating sophisticated visualizations with the Metric Explorer, as shown in the following figure.
- Convert metric data from bytes to bits
- Convert metric data from base 2 (Ki=1024) to base 10 (K = 1000)
- Change the y-axis in a time-series chart from linear to log scale
- Abbreviate metric values in a chart (for example, abbreviate 16,130,542 bytes to 16.1 MB)
- Sort metric data in ascending or descending order in a bar, list, or value chart
- Change the percentile precision in a pie chart
- Hide or display a chart legend
- Hide inactive metrics with a zero value so that these metrics are not visible in the chart, including the legend and label
- Include sparkline in a list or value chart
- Show the alert status for data displayed in list or value charts (for more information, see Alerts)
- Switch the color display for metric data to grayscale (with exception to charts that display an alert status)
- For IP address labels, display the hostname (if detected from DNS traffic in wire data) or origin IP address (if a proxy is detected from wire data)
- Show the relative time for an expiration date, such as the number of days until an SSL certificate expires.
|Note:||Some options are only available for specific chart types. For example, the option to include a sparkline only appears in the Options tab for list and value charts.|