To collect metrics for a segment of traffic across multiple IP addresses and ports, you can create a custom device on a Discover or Command appliance. Custom devices are useful for monitoring traffic outside of your local broadcast domain, such as branch offices, stores, or clinics.
Here are some important considerations about custom devices:
- Full system or full write privileges are required to create a custom device.
- Custom devices only appear in the ExtraHop system after traffic that matches your specified criteria is observed.
- Avoid creating multiple custom devices for the same IP addresses or ports. Custom devices that are configured with overlapping criteria might degrade system performance.
- Avoid creating a custom device for a broad range of IP addresses or ports, which might degrade system performance.
- A single custom device counts as one device towards your licensed capacity for Advanced Analysis and Standard Analysis.
The following steps show you how to create a custom device:
- Log into the Web UI of the Command or Discover appliance.
- Click the System Settings icon and then click Custom Devices.
- Click Create Custom Device.
- In the Name field, type a unique name for the custom device.
In the Discovery ID field, type a unique identifier.
If this field is left blank, a Discovery ID is generated from the custom device name. The Discovery ID cannot contain spaces and cannot be changed after the custom device is saved.
- (Optional): Click the Custom Device Enabled checkbox to specify whether the custom device is enabled or disabled.
- (Optional): In the Description field, add information about the custom device.
- (Command appliance only) From the Appliance drop-down list, select the Discover appliance that you want to associate with the custom device.
Click Add Criteria to specify the IP addresses, port
ranges, and VLAN ranges that you want to collect metrics for.
You can provide a combination of criteria to collect metrics across multiple devices or for a single device. You do not need to complete each field.
- In the IP Address field, type an IP address or a CIDR notation.
- In the Destination Port Range fields, type a minimum and a maximum destination port number.
- In the Source Port Range fields, type a minimum and a maximum source port number.
- In the VLAN Range fields, type a minimum and a maximum VLAN ID.
- (Optional): Click Add Criteria to configure an additional IP address, port range, or VLAN range.
Click Save Changes.
Tip: Click Save All Changes to save all custom devices that have unsaved configuration changes.