The offline capture mode in the Discover appliance enables an ExtraHop administrator to upload a capture file recorded by packet analyzer software, such as Wireshark or tcpdump, to the ExtraHop datastore for analysis.
Here are some important considerations before enabling offline capture mode:
- When the capture is set to offline mode, the ExtraHop datastore is reset. All previously recorded metrics are deleted from the datastore. When the system is set to online mode, the datastore is reset again.
- In offline mode, no metrics are collected from the capture interface until the system is set to online mode again.
- Log into the Admin UI on the Discover appliance.
- In the System Configuration section, click Capture.
- Click Offline Capture File.
- Select Upload and then click Save.
Click OK to confirm the datastore reset.
The capture process is stopped, the capture state is set to offline, and the datastore is cleared of all data. When the system has set the capture to offline mode, the Offline Capture File page appears.
- Click Choose File, browse to the capture file that you want to upload, select the file, and then click Open.
The Discover appliance displays the Offline Capture Results page when the capture file uploads successfully.
- Click View Results to analyze the packet capture file in the Web UI as you would when the appliance is in live capture mode.
- In the System Configuration section, click Capture (offline).
- Click Restart Capture.
- Select Live, and then click Save.