If you are deploying more than one Explore appliance, you can join the appliances together to create a cluster. For the best performance, data redundancy, and stability, you must configure at least three Explore appliances in an Explore cluster.
Before you beginYou must have already installed the Explore appliances in your environment before proceeding.
In the following example, the Explore appliances have the following IP addresses:
- Node 1: 10.20.227.177
- Node 2: 10.20.227.178
- Node 3: 10.20.227.179
You will join nodes 2 and 3 to node 1 to create the Explore cluster.
|Important:||Each node that you join must have the same configuration (physical or virtual) and the same ExtraHop firmware version.|
- Log into the Admin UI of all three Explore appliances with the setup user account in three separate browser windows or tabs.
- Select the browser window of node 1.
- In the Status and Diagnostics section, click Fingerprint and note the fingerprint value. You will later confirm that the fingerprint for node 1 matches when you join the remaining two nodes.
- Select the browser window of node 2.
- In the Explore Cluster Settings section, click Join Cluster.
- In the Host field, type the hostname or IP address of node 1 and then click Continue.
Confirm that the fingerprint on this page matches the fingerprint you noted in
In the Setup Password field, type the password for the
node 1 setup user account and then click
When the join is complete, the Explore Cluster Settings section has two new entries: Explore Cluster Members and Data Management.
Click Explore Cluster Members. You should see node 1 and
node 2 in the list.
- In the Status and Diagnostics section, click Explore Cluster Status. Wait for the Status field to change to Green before adding the next node.
Repeat steps 5 - 10 to join each additional node to the new cluster.
Note: To avoid creating multiple clusters, always join a new node to an existing cluster and not to another single appliance.
When you have added all of your Explore appliances to the cluster, click
Explore Cluster Members in the Explore
Cluster Settings section. You should see all of the joined nodes
in the list, similar to the following figure.
- In the Explore Cluster Settings section, click Data Management and make sure that Replication Level is set to 1 and Shard Reallocation is ON.