You can configure a threshold or trend alert to track a custom metric.
For top-level (or base) metrics, you can create an alert for any metric type—count, dataset, or sampleset. However, for detail metrics, you can only create an alert for the count metric type.
Before you beginYou can manually create a custom metric through the Web UI, or you can write a trigger to create a custom metric.
- Log into the Web UI on the ExtraHop Discover or Command appliance.
- Click the System Settings icon and then click Metric Catalog.
Find the custom metric you want to track and note the following fields from the
- Source Type
- Metric Type
- Close the Metric Catalog, click the System Settings icon , and then click Alerts.
- Click New to open the Alert Configuration window.
- In the Name field, type a unique name for the alert.
From the Alert Type options, select the type of alert that
you want to configure.
Option Description Threshold Threshold-based alerts are generated when a monitored metric crosses a defined value in a time period. You can specify a top-level or a detail metric as the threshold. Trend Trend-based alerts are generated when a monitored metric deviates from the normal trends observed by the system. Note: You cannot configure a detection alert to track a specific metric.
- For Threshold alerts, from the Detail options, select the type of metric that corresponds to the Type field that you noted previously from the Metric Catalog. (Skip this step for Trend alerts.)
Click the Select metric icon and complete the following steps to find the
custom metric this alert will track. These entries must correspond to the custom
metric information you noted previously from the Metric Catalog.
Click the arrow next to application to expand the
This selection corresponds to the Source Type field in the Metric Catalog.
Click the arrow next to custom to expand the list
and then click a metric type.
This selection corresponds to the Metric Type field in the Metric Catalog. For example, if the entry in the Metric Catalog is Count, click custom_count in the list.
In the Key pattern field, type the name of the
This entry must match the Metric field in the Metric Catalog.
The completed selection will look similar to the following figure.
- Click OK.
- Click the arrow next to application to expand the entries.
From the Firing Mode options, select the mode that
indicates when to generate an alert.
Option Description Edge-triggered An edge-triggered alert is generated only once when the alert conditions are true. The alert is generated again only if conditions are true after the metric value has returned to normal conditions twice. Level-triggered A level-triggered alert is generated continuously while the alert conditions are true for the specified time period.
- From the Alert When options, configure the alert expression that specifies when to issue an alert.