Adding storage capacity to your Trace appliance enables you to store more packets and extend the amount of lookback available when running packet queries.
|ExtraHop Trace Appliance||Extended Storage Unit|
You can attach a mix of 72 TB and 96 TB ESUs to the ETA 6150.
|You can attach up to four ESUs to a Trace appliance.|
- ExtraHop Trace appliance with firmware version 6.2.0 or later. If you have not deployed the Trace appliance, follow the instructions in the Deploy the ExtraHop Trace 6150 Appliance and Deploy the ExtraHop Trace 8250 Appliance guides.
- ExtraHop licence for the extended packetstore feature
- ExtraHop extended storage unit for the ExtraHop Trace appliance
- 2U of rack space and 2 x 600W power
- Power cables
- SAS cables
- Rail kit
- Install the extended storage unit in your data center with the included rack-mounting kit. The mounting kit supports most four-post racks with either round or square holes.
- Connect the power cables to the power supply units (PSUs).
- Log into the Admin UI on the Trace appliance.
- In the Appliance Settings section, click Shutdown or Restart.
- In the Actions column, click Shutdown.
- On the confirmation page, click Shut down.
The extended storage unit connects to the Trace appliance through both of the two enclosure management modules (EMMs). Each EMM has four ports for connecting the SAS cables.
In a redundant configuration, the storage units are linked together in a series, with one of the extended storage units connected to both host bus adapter (HBA) ports on the Trace appliance, as shown in the following figure.
Connect the SAS cables to the EMM SAS connectors on the extended storage
unit and to the HBA ports on the Trace appliance. Connect the SAS cable as
follows for the first storage unit:
- HBA port 0 (on the right) to upper EMM port 1
- HBA port 1 (on the left) to lower EMM port 1
Push the cable into the connector until it clicks into place. Green link lights will appear next to the ports when the ESU and Trace appliance are both powered on.
- Connectors on both ends of the SAS cable are universally keyed. You can connect either end of the cable to the EMM or the HBA on the Trace appliance.
- Attach the SAS cable to the EMM with the blue pull-tab oriented on the top of the connector.
- Attach the SAS cable to the HBA on the Trace appliance with the blue pull-tab oriented on the bottom of the connector.
- To remove the SAS cable, pull the pull-tab to release the cable from the connector on the EMM and the Trace appliance.
- Cable any additional storage units as illustrated above.
- Make sure that the power switch on both PSUs is turned off and then connect the PSUs to the power source.
- Power on the PSUs and wait 60 seconds before powering on the Trace appliance.
- Power on the Trace appliance.
- Log into the Admin UI.
- In the Appliance Settings section, click Disks.
Confirm that all drives in the Drive Map section are colored green,
indicating they are healthy. If any disk is unhealthy, contact ExtraHop Support.
- At the bottom of the Disks page, click External Packetstore Disks.
- In the RAID Info section for the extended storage unit, click Attach, and then click OK.
After the configuration is complete, confirm that all drives in the
extended storage unit are colored green, indicating they are healthy. If any
disk is unhealthy, contact ExtraHop Support.
- Repeat steps 6 and 7 for any additional extended storage units.