This guide explains how to install and configure the rack-mounted ExtraHop Trace appliance.
Your environment must meet the following requirements to deploy a Trace appliance:
- 2U of rack space
- 2x750W of power
- Network Access
- TCP ports 80 and 443 must be open.
These ports enable you to administer the Trace appliance through the ExtraHop Web UI. Requests sent to port 80 are automatically redirected to HTTPS port 443.
- One iDRAC interface port
- One RS-232 serial port to connect a console device
- One VGA port to connect an external display
- Two USB 3.0 ports to connect input devices such as a keyboard and mouse
- Two power ports to connect the appliance to an AC power source
- Two 10/100/1000 BASE-T network ports. Port 3 is the primary management port.
- Four 10G ports. Ports 1 and 2 are reserved for future use and are disabled. Ports 5 and 6 are the monitoring (capture) interfaces.
Rack mount the Trace appliance.
Install the Trace appliance in your data center with the included rack-mounting kit. The mounting kit supports most four-post racks with either round or square holes.
Connect port 3.
Connect your management network to the 1 GbE interface on port 3.
Connect the 10 GbE port.
Connect your network data feed to the 10 GbE interface on port 5, port 6, or both.
Important: The Trace appliance requires a duplicate feed of the traffic that is sent to the Discover appliance.
Connect the power cords.
Connect the two supplied power cords to the power supplies on the back of the appliance, and then plug the cords into a power outlet. If the appliance does not power on automatically, press the power button on the front of the appliance.
DHCP is enabled by default on the Trace appliance. When you power on the appliance, interface 3 attempts to acquire an IP address through DHCP. If successful, the IP address appears on the home screen of the LCD. If an IP address has not been configured, the LCD displays No IP.
If your network does not support DHCP, you can configure a static IP address through the LCD menu on the front panel or through the command-line interface (CLI). If an IP address has not been configured, the home screen displays IP:(None).
- Press the checkmark button.
- Press the arrow buttons to select Net.
The screen displays the host name. Return to the previous screen by scrolling to the up arrow on the screen and selecting the arrow.
- Select DHCP to see how the IP address is configured. Press the left and right arrow buttons to select an option and then press the Select button.
- On the Net screen, select IP and press the left and right arrow buttons to move between the digits. On the selected digit, click the checkmark button. The digit blinks when selected. While the digit is blinking, press the left and right arrow buttons to change the digit value.
- After you have entered the number, click the checkmark button.
- Press the left arrow button to navigate to the up arrow on the screen and select the arrow.
- On the Save screen, select Yes and then press the checkmark button.
- Wait a moment to be redirected to the Net screen. Repeat these steps to set the mask, gateway, and up to two DNS servers.
- Press the arrow keys to scroll back to the Home menu and select iDRAC.
- Configure the iDRAC DHCP, IP, mask, gateway, and DNS in the same manner as the IP address.
- On the Net screen, select Errors to view system events such as CPU errors, undetected hard drives, or missing power supplies. When an error occurs, the LCD turns amber and displays the error immediately.
- If there are multiple errors, press the left and right arrow buttons to scroll between the error messages. Press the Select button to exit the error screen. The Clear option removes the list of messages from the error screen.
- Establish a connection to the ExtraHop appliance.
- At the login prompt, type shell and then press ENTER.
- At the password prompt, type the service tag number found on the pullout tab on the front of the appliance, and then press ENTER.
To configure a static IP address, run the following commands:
After you assign a static IP address, the IP address appears on the LCD at the front of the appliance.
Enable privileged commands:
- At the password prompt, type the service tag number, and then press ENTER.
Enter configuration mode
Enter the interface configuration mode to configure interface 3:
Run the ip command and specify the IP address and
DNS settings in the following format:
ip ipaddr <ip_address> <netmask> <gateway>
ip ipaddr 10.10.2.14 255.255.0.0 10.10.1.253 10.10.1.254
Leave the interface configuration section:
Save the running config file:
- Type y and then press ENTER.
- Enable privileged commands:
After you configure an IP address for the Trace appliance, you can log into the Admin UI and complete the following procedures.
- Register the ExtraHop appliance
- Connect the Trace appliance to Discover and Command appliances
- Review the ExtraHop Post-deployment Checklist and configure additional Trace appliance settings.
Complete the following steps to apply a product key supplied by ExtraHop Support.
|Tip:||To verify that your environment can
resolve DNS entries for the ExtraHop licensing server, open a terminal application
on your Windows, Linux, or Mac OS client and run the following
nslookup -type=NS d.extrahop.com
If the name resolution is successful, output similar to the following appears:
Non-authoritative answer: d.extrahop.com nameserver = ns0.use.d.extrahop.com. d.extrahop.com nameserver = ns0.usw.d.extrahop.com.
- In your browser, type the URL of the ExtraHop Admin UI, https://<extrahop_ip_address>/admin.
- Review the license agreement, select I Agree, and then click Submit.
- On the login screen, type setup for the username.
For the password, select from the following options:
- For 1U and 2U appliances, type the service tag number found on the pullout tab on the front of the appliance.
- For the EDA 1100, type the serial number displayed in the Appliance info section of the LCD menu. The serial number is also printed on the bottom of the appliance.
- For a virtual appliance, type default.
- Click Log In.
- In the Appliance Settings section, click License.
- Click Manage License.
- Click Register.
- Enter the product key and then click Register.
- Click Done.
After you deploy the Trace appliance, you must establish a connection from all ExtraHop Discover and Command appliances to the Trace appliance before you can query for packets.
- Log into the Admin UI of a Discover or Command appliance.
- In the ExtraHop Trace Settings section, click Connect Trace Appliances.
- Type the hostname or IP address of the Trace appliance in the Appliance hostname field.
Note: You can only connect a Discover appliance to four or fewer Trace appliances, whereas you can connect a Command appliance to an unlimited number of Trace appliances.
- Note the information listed in the Fingerprint field. Verify that the fingerprint listed on this page matches the fingerprint of the Trace appliance listed on the Fingerprint page in the Admin UI of the Trace appliance.
- Type the password of the Trace appliance setup user in the Trace Setup Password field.
- Click Connect.
Thank you for your feedback.
Was this article helpful?